Friday, March 29, 2013

Roku 2 Resolves Video to TV Dilemma


Last week, a friend and sometimes client challenged me with what seemed to be a simple task: Make his iPad 2 display high-definition movies from Amazon Prime on his 50-plus-inch TV. It seemed like a simple task. In reality, that was far from true.

I bought dongles and extended cables, upgraded the iOS, and attempted video replay. We found no success. Using a tried and true testing method -- attempting video on another TV -- we still had no video. Then we had audio but no video. I was stumped.

HD cables that carry audio obviously work. The iPad displayed video, but I couldn't get video to display on the TV. Although I pride myself on the ability to outsmart any piece of technology, I was failing miserably on this mission.

Back to the drawing board I went, only to find that Amazon Prime does not support off-loaded HD video via HD or VGA cable with its mobile applications. Amazon's technical support could give me no reason, but did give me a promise that the company would fix the issue in its next release. This is a promise I have heard many times before, from many vendors.

In my experience, the next release that promises to support my need often is available at five minutes to never.

This quest to display Amazon Instant Video on a larger screen is not a whim. Nor is it solely relevant to the home user. SMBs could use this capability to replay security video, show clients a sales demo, or in their marketing initiatives. As we all know, video is a powerful tool, one that more SMBs are using to increase sales, support marketing, and cut support costs, among other things. Any time we can use powerful, often less expensive, consumer-oriented tools to support SMBs, it's worth a look.

My friend and I have been trying to fix this problem for several weeks. The iPad was just our most recent try. Sure, we could have hooked up a laptop or desktop, but how do you easily control a PC with a remote control?

Did I mention that while my friend doesn't have any tech genes, he's a tech toy nut? Despite the fact that this combination keeps me well fed in delicious dinners from my favorite restaurants, it can get frustrating at times.

Eventually, we found a solution: The Roku 2. Small, easy to set up, and fairly inexpensive, it's a great device that allowed me to meet my friend's video needs. From unboxing to watching a movie from our pre-loaded Amazon Instant Video Watch List, including all related registrations, it took less than 15 minutes. All cables were included, and Roku even threw in batteries for the remote.

The Roku 2 supports a huge number of apps, including movies, music, news, and on-demand content in many flavors. We set up our Roku via wireless link and had no issues. My friend was using the menu and finding his videos in less than five minutes. The interface is well thought out and flows smoothly from screen to screen with little or no lag.

I give the Roku 2 two thumbs up. And dinner was delicious.

No comments:

Post a Comment